Updated times and locations of Special Use Lanes available on HDOT websitePosted on Apr 9, 2018 in Main, News
HDOT to add trial northbound AM contraflow on Keeau-Pahoa Road (Highway 130) in late April-early May
HONOLULU – The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) has an updated listing of hours and locations for High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV), Contraflow, and shoulder lanes available on the HDOT website at http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/special-use-lanes/
The special use lane fact sheet is sorted by island and route and includes occupancy requirements, if applicable. Currently the special use lanes are:
- H-1 Eastbound Zip lane (HOV) from Managers Drive to Keehi
- Nimitz Highway Eastbound HOV/contraflow lane Keehi to Industrial Parkway
- H-1 Eastbound HOV lane from Waiawa to Keehi
- H-1 Westbound HOV lane from Keehi to Waiawa
- H-1 Eastbound shoulder express lane/HOV lane Pearl Harbor to Keehi
- H-2 Southbound HOV lane Mililani to Waiawa
- H-2 Northbound HOV lane Waiawa to Mililani
- H-201 Moanalua Freeway HOV lane Halawa to Puuloa
- Kalanianaole Highway Westbound contraflow/HOV lane West Halemaumau Street to Ainakoa Avenue
- Kahekili Highway Southbound contraflow West Hui Iwa Street to Haiku Road
- H-1 Eastbound shoulder express lane Waiawa to Halawa
- H-1 Westbound shoulder express lane Halawa to Waimalu
- H-1 Eastbound shoulder express lane Kualakai Parkway to Exit 5
- Farrington Highway Westbound contraflow Piliokahi Avenue to Nanaikeola Street
- Kuhio Highway from Kapule Highway to Kapaa Temporary Bypass Road
Plans are being developed to run a trial AM northbound contraflow lane on Keeau-Pahoa Road (Highway 130) from Kaloli Drive to Shower Drive. This lane would be open to motorists from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. from April 30 to May 11, 2018. A conceptual drawing showing the contraflow setup is available here.
During contraflow operations, HDOT Hawaii District staff will provide pedestrian and bicycle taxi service through the contraflow area. Designated pickup and drop off points for the pedestrian and bicycle taxi service will be identified on Highway 130 north of Shower Drive and south of Kaloli Drive. Hawaii District staff will be on site throughout the contraflow trial to ensure safe passage for all roadway users.
There will be no left turns allowed from northbound Highway 130 at the Shower/Pohaku Drive intersection; and Poni Moi (29th) Avenue, Pohaku Place, and the makai side of Puakalo Street will be limited to a right in and right out movement during the contraflow hours.
For more information on the Keeau-Pahoa Road contraflow trial or to provide feedback during the trial, please email DOTPAO@hawaii.gov or call the HDOT Hawaii District at 933-8866.