Traffic Update: H-1 Freeway Pearl City Viaduct Deck RepairsPosted on Aug 7, 2013 in Highways News, News
HONOLULU – This week the state Department of Transportation is working to reconfigure lane closures for the H-1 Freeway Pearl City Deck Repairs to help improve traffic flow. Currently the repairs and closures are in the west-bound right lanes of the H-1 Freeway near Pearl City.
Monday through Wednesday of this week the closures are starting at 9 p.m.
Starting Thursday night, August 8, the west-bound lane closures will begin at 7:30 p.m. with the new lane closure configuration.
Drivers will notice the following changes:
New configuration: First lane closure starts farther west
- First cone for one-lane closure starts between Kaonohi Street and Kaamilo Street overpasses. (Previously the first cone for one-lane closure started near the Aiea pedestrian overpass.)
New configuration: Three lanes open for a greater length of freeway
- Three of the six freeway lanes will remain open as motorists approach the Kaahumanu Street overpass.
- A coned exit lane for the Pearl City/Waimalu off-ramp (Exit 10) will remain in place.
- Three through lanes (open lanes) will be available for a longer length of freeway.
- As motorists approach the work zone – only two lanes through (open) lanes will be available.
- The west bound Waimalu loop freeway on-ramp from Moanalua Road will remain open.
The Pearl City Viaduct Deck Repair project is rebuilding badly deteriorated portions of the H-1 Freeway by removing sections of concrete in the evening, and then pouring new concrete overnight. By the morning rush hour, the concrete has set and vehicles may safely drive over it. The state DOT appreciates the public’s patience and aloha as we work to adjust the lane closures to improve traffic flow.