Veterans Designation Available For Drivers License, State IDPosted on Oct 1, 2014 in Highways News, News
HONOLULU – The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) in cooperation with the counties of Hawaii, Honolulu, Kauai, and Maui are pleased to announce that a veteran designation will be available for Hawaii driver’s licenses, state ID’s, and instruction permits effective October 1, 2014.
Persons who served in any of the uniformed services of the United States and received a discharge other than dishonorable are eligible. Applicants must provide proof of qualification. Acceptable documents include:
· DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
· NGB Form 22 (National Guard Report of Separation from Active Duty)
· Prior to January 1, 1950 – WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO, 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, NAVCG 553
· Discharge Certificate reflecting characterization of discharge
· Verification letter issued by the Veterans Administration
· Verification letter issued by the Office of Veteran Services
Applicants requiring a DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge, or other Military Documents to verify Veteran and Military eligibility status may go to:
· www.archives.gov/veterans/military-services-records/ and follow the steps outlined for either an online application request or follow procedures to print, populate, and mail out a Standard Form (SF) 180 request
Applicants may also contact:
· National Personnel Records Center: (314) 801-0800
· Hawaii State Office of Veterans Services at (808) 433-0420, Tripler Army Medical Center, 459 Patterson Road, E-Wing, Room 1-A103, Honolulu, HI 96819-1522
Applicants whose driver’s license, permit, or state ID’s are not within the renewal period may add the veteran designation by applying for a duplicate by presenting one of the documents listed above. Regular duplicate fees will apply.
Applicants for new or renewal driver’s licenses, instructional permits, and state ID’s are required to provide the necessary documents for proof of name, date of birth, social security number, principal residence and legal presence status. See links for details https://hidldocs.com or https://hidot.hawaii.gov/hawaiis-legal-presence-law/ and https://hidot.hawaii.gov/hawaiistateid/.
Customers with specific questions may contact their county driver license/ state ID office at:
County of Hawaii: 961-2222
City & County of Honolulu: 532-7730
County of Kauai: 241-4242
County of Maui: 270-7363 (Molokai: 553-9067, Lanai: 565-7878)