[Update @ 12 PM] H-1 ZipperLane Open For Westbound Traffic, ZipMobile Repairs In AfternoonPosted on Apr 1, 2015 in Highways News, Main, News
HONOLULU – The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) advises Oahu motorists that repairs will begin this afternoon for the ZipMobile. The H-1 Freeway ZipperLane remains deployed until a repair estimate can be determined at approximately 1:30 p.m. today.
To alleviate westbound traffic, the ZipperLane is open for use in the westbound direction by all vehicles. State, City and Rail Transit roadwork projects in the westbound direction have been canceled for today.
Replacement parts are being flown to Oahu and are expected to arrive before noon. Technicians will be working immediately to repair the ZipMobile.
If repairs are successful the following steps are planned:
- The ZipMobile will begin closing the ZipperLane at approximately 2 to 3 p.m.
- Motorists are advised to still expect traffic delays, as the ZipMobile will take approximately 90 minutes to close the lane from the Waikele area to the Halawa area and westbound afternoon traffic will still be impacted.
If repairs are not successful, the following steps are planned:
- The ZipperLane will remain open to all vehicles for westbound traffic through afternoon rush-hour and will be closed when traffic congestion returns to normal levels.
- HPD Special Duty officers will be positioned at key intersections on Nimitz Highway approaching the ZipperLane entrance near Sand Island Access Road to manage traffic control.
- HDOT is looking at opening H-1 shoulder lanes in locations to alleviate traffic. Specific entrance and exit details will be announced.
More updates will be provided as soon as new information becomes available and a decision is expected at approximately 1:30 p.m. HDOT sincerely thanks Oahu’s motorists for their patience and kokua.