Request for Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) Project Applications

Posted on Feb 5, 2018 in Highways Posts, Main, News

Request for TAP Project Applications

The Hawaii State Department of the Transportation (HDOT) Highways Division is pleased to announce a call for Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) projects. TAP provides federal funds for community-based projects that expand travel choices and enhance the transportation experience in Hawaii.

This year, HDOT is making available approximately $5 million in federal funding to support bicycle, pedestrian, multi-use path and transportation-related projects. Applications for this funding opportunity must be received no later than May 31, 2018.

TAP funds are made available to the State through the Federal Highway Administration and administered by HDOT, Highways Division, Planning Branch. This program provides 80 percent of project-related cost, with the remaining 20 percent provided by project sponsors.  The $5 million figure represents Federal allocations only, and do not include Local Match. TAP fund recipients will be required to provided assurance of Local Match.

Click the link below to download the TAP Guidelines and Project Application:

HDOT TAP Guidelines Project Application

TAP provides funding for programs and projects defined as transportation alternatives, including on- and off-road pedestrian and bicycle facilities, infrastructure projects for improving non-driver access to public transportation and enhanced mobility, community improvement activities, and environmental mitigation; recreational trail program projects; and projects for planning, designing, or constructing boulevards and other roadways largely in the right-of-way of former Interstate System routes or other divided highways.

 

Entities eligible to receive TAP funds:

  • Local governments
  • Regional transportation authorities
  • Transit agencies
  • Natural resource or public land agencies
  • School districts, local education agencies, or schools
  • Tribal governments
  • Nonprofit entity responsible for the administration of local transportation safety programs
  • Any other local or regional governmental entity with responsibility for, or oversight of, transportation or recreational trails (other than a metropolitan planning organization or a State agency) that the State determines to be eligible

 

TAP projects are selected via a competitive scoring process based on criteria identified in the  HDOT TAP Guidelines Project Application

Please note that only $2.5 million is currently programmed in the 2018-2019 State Transportation Improvements Projects (STIP).  However, if the HDOT TAP team receives a high number of quality applications, we may obligate more TAP funds if adjustments to the STIP are possible at that time. Also, some projects that are awarded funds this year may have to wait for the next Financial Year to receive the funds.