The following commercial activities are regulated by Chapter 19-20.1, “Commercial Services at Public Airports”, Hawaii Administrative Rules:
- Aircraft Ground Handling Services
- Baggage Pickup and Delivery Services
- Commercial Photography
- Greeting Services for Hire
- In-flight Catering Services
- Merchandise Delivery
- Porter Services
- Prearranged Ground Transportation Services
Permit Application Procedures
A permit (“Commercial Service Permit”) is required to conduct each type of commercial activity. The permit, which is nontransferable, is good for one year. It may be renewed on a year to year basis. There is a fee, or fees, for each type of permit.
It should be noted that these permit application procedures apply only to initial applications. The procedure for renewal applications will be explained to you, in writing, subsequent to the issuance of the permit.
To obtain the initial permit, you must:
- Complete an application form and submit it to the manager of the airport where you wish to conduct the commercial activity.
- Submit a completed Certificate of Insurance form with the application.
- Pay the required fee, or fees, at the time of application. The check or money order should be made out to the Department of Transportation, Airports Division.
If you wish to conduct more than one commercial activity, you must complete a separate application form for each activity.|
The fees for the different types of permits are shown in the fee schedule which is attached to the application form. All annual fees must be paid at the time of application. There will be no refund or proration of fees after the permit is issued.
Meeting the insurance requirements is an important part of the application process. To ensure that you understand the insurance requirements, we have developed a “Sample Certificate of Insurance” with detailed instructions (2.7MB pdf).
You must submit the completed application form(s), certificate of insurance and fees to the manager of the airport where you wish to conduct the commercial activity. You may do this either in person or by mail. Click the heading “Where to Submit Application” to view the mailing addresses of the different state airports.
To view and print the Portable Document Files (pdf), you need a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher. Download a free Reader by clicking on the Get ADOBE READER icon. This will link you to the Adobe web site, where step-by-step instructions are available.