Construction Site Runoff Control Program
The Construction Site Runoff Control Program has been developed to address the potential pollutants that are generated as a result of construction activities in accordance with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit for Honolulu International Airport (HNL). All Designers, Construction Managers, Contractors, and other parties involved with construction at the airport must comply with this program.
NOTICE: Requirement per the U.S. EPA Consent Decree filed on October 6, 2005.
Effective immediately per the Consent Decree, paragraph 15, “HDOT shall provide a copy of this Consent Decree to all Managers, employees, contractors, subcontractors, and agents whose duties might reasonably include compliance with any provisions of this Decree, as well as to any contractor specially retained to perform work required under this Decree.”
HNL SWMPP (Storm Water Management Program Plan)
NOTICE: All construction projects at HNL must undergo a construction plan review and receive a Notice-To-Proceed from DOTA prior to commencing construction activities.
- Section C– Construction Site Runoff Control Program (5.19 MB)
- Section D– Post Construction Storm Water Management (9.16 MB)
- Retrofit Action Plan (2.22 MB)
2017 Construction BMP (Best Management Practices) Training
In accordance with the DOTA NPDES permit No. HIS000005 and associated Storm Water Management Program Plan (SWMPP), all parties involved with construction project responsibilities, including DOTA engineers, inspectors, contractors, consultants, and designers, are required to complete annual training. Submit completed training rosters and Construction Training Quizzes to the DOTA Environmental Section (fax: 808-838-8014) or email to email@example.com.
Useful Construction Documents
- Designers: submit the proper form with your plans for review.
- Designers: consider using a preferred post-construction BMP in projects over 1 acre: Preferred Permanent BMPs
- Tenants: complete this application for storm water discharges from your construction site: Permit to Discharge into the State Airport Drainage System (28.7KB)
- Construction Managers/ Inspectors: Use these forms to document construction site inspections.
- City and County of Honolulu Best Management Practices Manual. *Note: Ensure that the most recent version is referenced.
- DOTA Environmental Health Specialists: Use these forms to document construction plan reviews.
To view and print the Portable Document Files (pdf), you need a free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher. This will take you to the Adobe web site, where step-by-step instructions are available.