Traffic signal improvements scheduled Friday, May 29 in Paia and PukalaniPosted on May 28, 2020 in Highways News, Main, News
KAHULUI – The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) advises the public of intermittent delays for traffic signal improvements at two intersections in Paia and Pukalani on Friday, May 29 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
The improvements will be installation of Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) and battery backup systems at the intersection of Hana Highway and Baldwin Avenue in Paia and the intersection of Kula Highway and Haleakala Highway in Pukalani.
During the installation, HDOT crews will deactivate the traffic signals and intermittently stop traffic through the intersection for 5 minutes at a time. The traffic signal will go into flashing mode prior to the traffic stoppage. Motorists are asked to follow instructions from the work crews in the area and to drive with caution. After installation the traffic signals will be returned to normal operations and the crew will move to the next location.
The Hana Highway/Baldwin Avenue and Kula Highway/Haleakala Highway traffic signals are the first of 12 signals that will be improved with the UPS and battery backups. The full list of Maui signals slated for improvements are:
- Baldwin Avenue and Hana Highway
- Kula Highway and Haleakala Highway
- Haleakala Highway and Hana Highway
- Piilani Highway and North Kihei Road
- Keawe Street and Honoapiilani Highway
- Kai Hele Ku Street and Lahaina Bypass
- North Kihei Road and Honoapiilani Highway
- Kuihelani Highway and Honoapiilani Highway
- Kahului Beach Road and Kaahumanu Avenue
- Kuihelani Hwy/Airport Road and Puunene Avenue
- Airport Road and Dairy Road
- Airport Road and Hana Highway
The improvements will enhance safety of traffic operations by ensuring the signals can run during power outages and will increase the life of high-priced signal light components while reducing operational costs.
Planned closures for the remainder of the intersections slated for improvements will be added to our weekly roadwork list at http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/roadwork