Construction Site Runoff Control Program
The Construction Site Runoff Control Program has been developed to address the potential pollutants that are generated as a result of construction activities in accordance with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit Program. All Designers, Construction Managers, Contractors, and other parties involved with construction at airports, statewide, must comply with this program. All construction projects must undergo a construction plan review and receive a Notice-To-Proceed from DOTA prior to commencing construction activities.
Construction BMP (Best Management Practices) Training Video and Survey
It is required for all parties involved with construction project responsibilities, including DOTA engineers, inspectors, contractors, consultants, and designers, to complete the DOTA Construction BMP Training before construction begins and annually during construction. After watching the DOTA Construction BMP Training Video, above, please complete the DOTA Construction BMP Training Survey. A PDF copy of the training survey is available upon request.
There are two training options:
- All contractor and subcontractor employees watch the DOTA Construction BMP Training Video and complete the DOTA Construction BMP Training Survey, or
- The supervisors/managers watch the DOTA Construction BMP Training Video, train their employees, complete the DOTA Construction BMP Training Survey, and submit a sign-in roster for the training of the employees at the bottom of the DOTA Construction BMP Training Survey.
Completed Construction BMP Training Surveys, which will be emailed to you once you pass, and/or the training roster sign-in sheet must be up to date and included in the SSBMP Plan or SWPPP.
- Training Roster Sign-in Sheet
- 2019 Construction Stormwater and Asbestos Training Material
- 2018 Construction Stormwater Training Material
DOTA Environmental Submittals and Guidance
- SOP and Veoci QRGs
- Designers and Tenant Improvement Projects: submit the proper forms with your plans for review and approval.
- Construction Plan Design and Review SOP for Designers and Tenants
- Tenant Improvement Projects: Complete this application for stormwater discharges from your construction site (this is applicable to all HNL, OGG projects and all projects for dewatering and/or hydrotesting). Construction Connection, Discharge, and Surface Runoff Permit (28.7KB) (For drainage basin maps for other airports please reach out to DOT AIR-EE.)
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater Review Form
- One acre or more: Design Review Checklist
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) Template
- Less than one acre: Notification Less Than One Acre
- Site-Specific Best Management Practices (SSBMP) Plan Template
- Construction Managers/ Inspectors: The contractor can use this form or similar to document construction site inspections.
Useful Construction Documents (ALL AIRPORTS)
- Spill Response Fact Sheets
- DOTA Statewide Programmatic Environmental Hazard Evaluation and Environmental Hazard Management Plan (EHE-EHMP)
- DOH submittals related to Construction
- City and County of Honolulu Best Management Practices Manual. *Note: Ensure that the most recent version is referenced.
- DOTA Environmental Health Specialists: Use these forms to document construction plan reviews.
To view and print the Portable Document Files (pdf), you need a free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher. This will take you to the Adobe web site, where step-by-step instructions are available.