ROUTINE CONSTRUCTION / EXCAVATION WITHIN A STATE HIGHWAY
1. WHERE TO APPLY:
For Work on the Island of Oahu:
727 Kakoi Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96819
Phone: (808) 831-6700, ext 107
(See: District Offices)
Routine construction projects within the State highway right-of-way consisting of ground disturbance of any kind:
a. Residential driveways;
b. Utility service connections;
c. Minor and emergency repairs;
d. Minor adjustment of utilities;
e. Overhead and underground utility crossings of other than freeways;
f. Construction of concrete sidewalks, asphaltic concrete footpaths and wheel chair ramps; and
g. Soil Borings.
3. PERMIT REQUIREMENTS:
Applicant is required to obtain clearance signatures from various utility companies as part of this permit application process.
(1) Two sets of construction plans drawn to scale showing the extent and layout of proposed work with all necessary dimensions, clearances and elevations including, but not limited to the following:
a. Location map with north arrow;
b. Location of existing highway facilities such as drainage culverts, signs, sidewalks, traffic signals, light standards, guardrails, etc.; and
c. Traffic control plan.
(3) Fee schedule varies. Minimum fee is $10.00.
(4) Bond. Minimum is $1,000.00.
(5) Three sets of plans, preferrably 11 x 17.
(6) DOT’s Best Management Practices (BMP) form, filled out of applicant, to be reviewed by DOT Environmental section.
(7) A Lane Closure Form will need to be filled out (two weeks in advance of closure) if proposed work involves lane or shoulder closures.
4. REVIEW PROCEDURE:
In most cases, the permit application is reviewed and processed within one week, depending on the nature of the work and the complexity of the BMP form.