Hazardous Materials Endorsement

Hazardous materials endorsement (H) is required for drivers of vehicles transporting hazardous materials requiring placards under subpart F of 49 CFR part 172. To be eligible for a HAZMAT endorsement, follow the process below:

  • Apply for and be issued a CDL at a CDL office and pass the HAZMAT knowledge test.
  • You are required to provide a document to show proof of U.S. citizenship or immigration as specified in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Regulations, 49 CFR 383.71.
  • Complete the Transportation Security Administration HAZMAT endorsement threat assessment application form online at https://universalenroll.dhs.gov or by telephone toll free at 1-855-347-8371 weekdays 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET and pay the fee. In addition, applicants from any state may check their application status at the same website (“Check Status” link) and phone number.
  • Receive the results of the assessment from TSA.
  • Take the TSA letter showing the results of the assessment with you and return to the CDL office for a CDL HAZMAT endorsement.