Night work scheduled on Kuhio Highway (Route 560) at Waipa Bridge beginning April 10, 2019Posted on Mar 29, 2019 in Highways Posts, Main, News
LIHUE – The Hawaii Department of Transportation notifies the residents of Wainiha and Haena of upcoming night work on the Waipa Bridge on Kuhio Highway (Route 560). The Waipa Bridge is within the area of Kuhio Highway that is currently accessible only to those with resident or contractor placards provided by the County of Kauai.
The upcoming night work at Waipa is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, April 10, 2019 and will continue through Friday, April 19, 2019 according to the following schedule:
Waipa Bridge Night Work (Phase I) – Future phases TBA
- Wednesday, April 10 – Friday, April 19 (No work Sunday, April 14)
- Work to take place nightly from 7 p.m. (after the last car passes through the convoy) to 5:50 a.m.
- 10:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. convoys will run only up to Waipa Park and Ride locations
- Parking areas on either side of Waipa Bridge and pedestrian access will be available for those wanting to cross the bridge during work hours
- Parking areas will be secured at all times
Limited access convoys will run according to the Monday thru Saturday (night work) schedule posted at https://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/files/2019/03/2019.03.27-Convoy-Schedule.pdf with the 10:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. convoys utilizing the Waipa Bridge Park and Ride.
The convoy schedule for April 10-13 and April 15-19 in its entirety is:
- 5:50 AM Wainiha to Hanalei
- 6:20 AM Hanalei to Wainiha
- 6:50 AM Wainiha to Hanalei
- 7:20 AM Hanalei to Wainiha
- 7:50 AM Wainiha to Hanalei
- 8:20 AM Hanalei to Wainiha
- 12:45 PM Wainiha to Hanalei
- 1:15 PM Hanalei to Wainiha
- 1:45 PM Wainiha to Hanalei
- 2:15 PM Hanalei to Wainiha
- 5:00 PM Wainiha to Hanalei
- 5:30 PM Hanalei to Wainiha
- 6:00 PM Wainiha to Hanalei
- 6:30 PM Hanalei to Wainiha (NOTE: This is the LAST CONVOY all the way from Hanalei to Wainiha until the next morning at 6:20 a.m. After this convoy, you will need to leave your car at Waipa Park from where a shuttle will take you to the Waipa Bridge pedestrian bridge overpass.)
- 7:00 PM Wainiha to Hanalei (NOTE: This is the LAST CONVOY all the way from Wainiha to Hanalei until the next morning at 5:50 a.m. Residents needing to go to Hanalei will need to leave their cars at the Waipa Bridge Park and Ride then cross the pedestrian bridge where a shuttle will transport you to Waipa Park.)
- 10:30 PM Wainiha to Hanalei Waipa Bridge Park and Ride / Pedestrian Bridge
- 11:00 PM Hanalei to Wainiha Waipa Bridge Park and Ride / Pedestrian Bridge
All work is weather permitting. First responders have been notified and have planned staging and procedures in the event of an emergency requiring them to access the work zones.
More information on the Waipa Bridge and other Kuhio Highway Emergency Repairs can be found on the HDOT website at https://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/2018-kuhio-highway-emergency-repairs/