HDOT update on Honoapiilani Highway Realignment and Improvements at Keawe Street, January 31, 2018Posted on Jan 31, 2018 in Highways Posts, Main, News
KAHULUI – The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) provides the following updates on the Lahaina Bypass Phase 1B-2, the Honoapiilani Highway Improvements – Keawe Street to Kapunakea Street, and the associated project, Traffic Signal Modernization at Various Locations.
Honoapiilani Highway Improvements – Keawe Street to Kapunakea Street
Work hours on this project to account for the anticipated volume of cars entering and exiting the Bypass from the interim northern terminus at Keawe Street continues to run from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Friday.
Field observations from multiple points in the day on Friday, Jan. 26, 2018, indicate that there is a slight delay in the construction zone, but no significant backups were observed on Honoapiilani Highway or Keawe Street. As mentioned in last week’s update, work hours may be adjusted if heavy traffic is observed.
Last week the installation of conduit at the Lahaina Cannery Mall entrance, which included the trenching and backfill work, was completed. Work on the conduit on the south side of the Honoapiilani Highway and Keawe Street intersection began on Jan. 25, 2018, and continues this week.
Roadwork associated closures for the upcoming week will continue to be posted on the HDOT website at http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/roadwork/
Lahaina Bypass Phase 1B-2
Construction on the Lahaina Bypass Phase 1B-2 continues. Work completed last week includes:
- Installation of lighting conduits at the intersection between the Lahaina Bypass and the southern connector road.
- Removal of the temporary pavement at the intersection between the Lahaina Bypass and Hokiokio Place.
- Concrete pours for pavement at the intersection of the Bypass and Kai Hele Ku Street.
- Seeding and mulching of areas south of Launiupoko Stream (continuing).
- Concrete placement of the roof on the Makai side of the Launiupoko Stream box culvert.
- Concrete placement for the Punakea Street barrier railing under the Punakea Overpass.
Work scheduled for this week includes:
- Asphalt paving of the north half of Kai Hele Ku Street.
- Asphalt paving of the bike path between the southern connector road and Kai Hele Ku Street.
- Utility relocations on Hokiokio Place.
- Concrete pours of pavement at the Bypass’s intersection with Kai Hele Ku Street.
- Continuing seeding and mulching of the excavated areas south of Launiupoko Stream.
- Forming of the inlet headwalls on the Launiupoko Stream box culvert.
- Continuing the construction of the Bypass embankment between the Punakea Overpass to Hokiokio Place.
Traffic Signal Modernization at Various Locations
There is no substantial update on the project to modernize traffic signal systems on Maui. The Traffic Signal Modernization project was awarded on January 17, 2018, and the contract is in the process of being executed. For more information on the Traffic Signal Modernization project, please refer to last week’s update available here.
For more information on the Lahaina Bypass Phase 1B-2
For previous updates on the Lahaina Bypass Phase 1B-2 and associated projects