COVID-19 Safety Check FAQsPosted on Mar 27, 2020 in
The following is a Frequently-Asked-Questions (FAQs) discussion on the State of Hawaii’s COVID-19 emergency procedures as it relates to the Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspection, (i.e., Safety Check) program for non-commercial motor vehicles and motor carrier commercial motor vehicles. The temporary interim procedures established is in accordance with the Governor’s (First) Supplementary to the Emergency Proclamation signed on March 16, 2020 and subsequent supplementary proclamations relating to the COVID-19 Emergency that temporarily suspend specific Hawaii Revised Statutes and Hawaii Department of Transportation Administrative Rules. The most recent supplementary proclamation, Fourteenth Proclamation, extends the emergency period end date through November 30, 2020.
(Updated: October 14, 2020)(The temporary interim procedures conveyed in the FAQs are subject to change. Please continue to check this website for the latest revisions.)
- Where can I find a safety inspection station that will perform a safety inspection on my commercial motor vehicle or non-commercial motor vehicle (i.e., a motor vehicle that is less than 10,001 pounds GVWR)?
- What do I do if my commercial or non-commercial motor vehicle safety inspection certificate and sticker have expired before, during or after the Hawaii COVID-19 emergency period?
- Since my expired safety inspection certificate/ sticker that expires March 2020 through October 2020, is now valid through November 30, 2020, will I receive a new safety inspection certificate/ sticker?
- How do I renew my motor vehicle registration if my safety inspection certificate/ sticker has expired?
- How do I register and title my vehicle if I recently purchased it from someone and the safety inspection certificate/ sticker has expired?
- How do I register and title my motor vehicle that was registered in another state that I recently shipped here from an out-of-state location but have not yet registered?
- How will I know when the safety inspection stations are performing safety checks again?
- The safety inspection sticker on my car has expired. Will I get a traffic ticket for an expired safety inspection certificate/ sticker?
- Will I be able to enter a military installation if my vehicle has an expired safety inspection certificate/ sticker?
- How will I register a brand new commercial or non-commercial motor vehicle that I shipped to Hawaii from another state that has never been registered?
- Will I be able to register my brand new commercial or non-commercial motor vehicle that I purchased from a dealer?
- My safety check certificate/ sticker will expire the month after the safety check stations reopen for business. What if I cannot get my vehicle inspected before my safety check certificate/ sticker expires?