COVID-19 Safety Check FAQsPosted on Mar 27, 2020 in
The following is a Frequently-Asked-Questions (FAQs) discussion on the State of Hawaii’s COVID-19 emergency procedures as it relates to the Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspection, (i.e., Safety Check) program for non-commercial motor vehicles and motor carrier commercial motor vehicles. The temporary interim procedures established is in accordance with the Governor’s (First) Supplementary to the Emergency Proclamation signed on March 16, 2020 and subsequent supplementary proclamations relating to the COVID-19 Emergency. The most recent supplementary proclamation, Tenth Supplementary Proclamation, extends the emergency period end date to August 31, 2020.
(Updated: July 24, 2020)
- Where can I find a safety inspection station that will perform a safety inspection on my commercial motor vehicle or non-commercial motor vehicle (i.e., a motor vehicle that is less than 10,001 pounds GVWR)?
- What do I do if my commercial or non-commercial motor vehicle safety inspection certificate/sticker has expired before, during or after the emergency period?
- Since my expired safety inspection certificate/ sticker that expired in July 2020 or before July 2020, is now valid until September 30, 2020, will I receive a new safety inspection certificate/sticker?
- How do I renew my motor vehicle registration if my safety inspection certificate/sticker has expired?
- How do I register and title my vehicle if I recently purchased it from someone and the safety inspection certificate/sticker has expired?
- How do I register and title my motor vehicle that was registered in another state that I recently shipped here from an out-of-state location but have not yet registered?
- How will I know when the safety inspection stations are performing safety checks again?
- The safety inspection sticker on my car has expired. Will I get a traffic ticket for an expired safety inspection certificate/sticker?
- Will I be able to enter a military installation if my vehicle has an expired safety inspection certificate/sticker?
- How will I register a brand new commercial or non-commercial motor vehicle that I shipped to Hawaii from another state that has never been registered?
- Will I be able to register my brand new commercial or non-commercial motor vehicle that I purchased from a dealer?
- My safety check certificate/sticker will expire the month after the safety check stations reopen for business. What if I cannot get my vehicle inspected before my safety check certificate/sticker expires?
- I paid and had my non-commercial motor vehicle inspected prior to the safety inspection stations temporarily closing so I was not able to return to the safety inspection station before 30 days had past. Since it is now over 30 days for a free re-inspection, will I be able to complete the inspection without being charged for another inspection?