Motor Vehicle Safety Office
HDOT’S MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY OFFICE TO CLOSE ON MONDAY, JULY 30, AND WILL REOPEN AT NEW LOCATION IN AIEA
HONOLULU – The Hawaii Department of Transportation’s (HDOT) Motor Vehicle Safety Office (MVSO) will be closed on Monday, July 30, 2018 as it will be moving to a new location.
The MVSO operations relocating are:
• The Highway Safety Office Staff located in the Aliiaimoku Building, Room 405 at 869 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu.
• The Motor Carrier Safety Staff, the Highway Safety Section, and the Clerical Servicing Staff located in the Kakuhihewa Building, Room 511 at 601 Kamokila Boulevard, Kapolei.
MVSO’s new address will be 98-339 Ponohana Place, Aiea 96701. The facility is located off Moanalua Road, under the H-1 Freeway overpass in Waimalu.
MVSO will begin operations at its new location on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 7:45 a.m.
• Counter service hours will continue to be 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., except for State observed holidays.
• Driver Education and Motorcycle Instructor Certification will continue to be by appointment.
• All other MVSO hours of operation will continue to be Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except State observed holidays.
MVSO’s current telephone numbers will remain the same.
New Application Forms:
Highway Safety Section – Drivers:
- Hawaii Driver History Record
- Hawaii Driver’s Manual (pdf file) 9 MB
- Hawaii Driver’s Manual – Spanish (PDF en Español) 3.5 MB
- Hawaii Driver’s Manual – Korean (한글 PDF) 4 MB
- Hawaii Driver’s Manual – Japanese (日本語 PDF) 4.5 MB
- Motorcycle Operator Manual (pdf file) 3 MB
- Medical Report Form (pdf file) 204KB
- Limited Purpose Driver’s License/Permit Information & FAQs (pdf file) 275KB
- Reciprocal Operating Privileges List (pdf file) 115KB
Highway Safety Section – Motorcycle Safety:
- Motorcycle Awareness Month Proclamation
- 2007 Traffic Safety Facts
- Motorcycle Safety Tips
- Helmet Effectiveness Revisited
- How to Identify Unsafe Motorcycle Helmets
- What’s Your PSI?
- The Detection of DWI Motorcyclists
- Trends in Fatal Motorcycle Crashes Updated
Motor Vehicle Registration Related Links:
Motor Carrier Section:
Motor Carrier Safety Section – Heavy Vehicle Use Tax:
- Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Exempt Certification Instructions
- Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Exempt Certification Form
- Federal IRS Trucking Tax Center Information
Highway Safety Section – Commercial Drivers:
- Obtaining a CDL (pdf file)
- CDL Application Form
- CDL Manual (pdf file) 2.5 MB
- Hazardous Materials Endorsement
- CDL Disqualifying Offenses & Disqualification Periods
- Application form (2-part form at field offices) (pdf file) 55 KB
- Application form for Intrastate Medical Waiver
- Medical Certification (FAQs and Self-Certification Form)
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate New Effective May 21, 2014, only certified medical examiners must conduct the DOT physical exam, complete the Medical Examination Report and Medical Examiner’s Certificate, and report all results of completed physical examinations to FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration).
- APPLICATION FOR MILITARY SKILLS TEST WAIVER
- Windward Baseyard CDL Testing Site Storm Water Pollution Control Plan Users Guide
Information about owning and driving a MOPED:
- Information for MOPED Owners and Drivers
- Basic MOPED rider Information to be Furnished to Customers by Persons Engaged in the Retail Business of selling or renting Mopeds in Hawaii (Revised 11/05)
Periodic Inspection of Motor Vehicles:
- FAQs about Reconstructed (Recon) Vehicle Inspection
- PMVI Stations Sorted by Zip Code
- PMVI Motorcycle And Moped Stations Sorted by County and by Zip Code
- PMVI Manual for Inspectors of Passenger Cars and Light Trucks
- PMVI Manual for Inspectors of Motorcycles
- Moped Inspection Handbook
To view and print the above “Portable Document Format (PDF) files”, you need a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader version 4.0 or higher. Download a free Reader by clicking on the “Get Acrobat” icon. This will link you to the Adobe web site, where step-by-step instructions are available.