Motor Vehicle Safety Office
NOTE: MVSO counter service is temporarily suspended due to COVID-19.
HDOT’S MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY OFFICE (RELOCATED TO WAIMALU)
98-339 Ponohana Place
Aiea, Hawaii 96701
The MVSO operations include:
• The Highway Safety Office Staff (relocated from the Aliiaimoku Building, Room 405 at 869 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu), and
• The Motor Carrier Safety Staff, Highway Safety Section, and Clerical Servicing Staff (relocated from the Kakuhihewa Building, Room 511 at 601 Kamokila Boulevard, Kapolei).
• Counter service hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except for State observed holidays.
• Driver Education and Motorcycle Instructor Certification hours: Monday thru Friday by appointment.
• All other services hours: Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except State observed holidays.
Driver’s License and State Identification Card
- Driver’s license information and FAQ
- State identification card information and FAQ
- Acceptable documents for a REAL ID Compliant (Star) Hawaii Driver’s License, Instruction Permit, Provisional Driver’s License or State ID Card
New Application Forms:
Highway Safety Section – Drivers:
- Medical Report Form (pdf file) 377KB
- Limited Purpose Driver’s License/Permit Information & FAQs (pdf file) 275KB
- Reciprocal Operating Privileges List (pdf file) 115KB
Highway Safety Section – Motorcycle Safety:
- Motorcycle Awareness Month Proclamation
- 2007 Traffic Safety Facts
- Motorcycle Safety Tips
- Helmet Effectiveness Revisited
- How to Identify Unsafe Motorcycle Helmets
- What’s Your PSI?
- The Detection of DWI Motorcyclists
- Trends in Fatal Motorcycle Crashes Updated
Motor Vehicle Registration Related Links:
Motor Carrier Section:
Motor Carrier Safety Section – Heavy Vehicle Use Tax:
- Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Exempt Certification Instructions
- Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Exempt Certification Form
- Federal IRS Trucking Tax Center Information
Highway Safety Section – Commercial Drivers:
- Medical Certification (FAQs and Self-Certification Form)
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate Only certified medical examiners that have been approved by FMCSA and listed on the FMCSA National Registry may conduct the physical exams for drivers of commercial motor vehicles, complete the Medical Examination Report, Medical Examiner’s Certificate, and report all results of completed physical examinations to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Find a FMCSA approved medical examiner
- APPLICATION FOR MILITARY SKILLS TEST WAIVER
Information about owning and driving a MOPED:
- Information for MOPED Owners and Drivers
- Basic MOPED rider Information to be Furnished to Customers by Persons Engaged in the Retail Business of selling or renting Mopeds in Hawaii (Revised 11/05)
Periodic Inspection of Motor Vehicles:
- FAQs about Reconstructed (Recon) Vehicle Inspection
- PMVI Stations Sorted by Zip Code
- PMVI Motorcycle And Moped Stations Sorted by County and by Zip Code
- PMVI Manual for Inspectors of Passenger Cars and Light Trucks
- PMVI Manual for Inspectors of Motorcycles
- Moped Inspection Handbook
To view and print the above “Portable Document Format (PDF) files”, you need a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader version 4.0 or higher. Download a free Reader by clicking on the “Get Acrobat” icon. This will link you to the Adobe web site, where step-by-step instructions are available.